"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Paul Thompson

I don't know much about this Vietnam vet -- he's a brand new friend on Facebook. What I've read here is what I know about him, but he's nice, he's a vet, and he served -- that's good enough for me.  He's earned my respect. Welcome Home, Paul Thompson ... thank you.











("tough enough to wear pink and then some ...")

COWBOY
by Paul Thompson


The old cowboy sits in the far back of the room listening to the gal with the big Gibson singing Patsy Cline. He's thinking about his days as a teenage Recon Marine in the jungles in Viet Nam, life was cheap there and he took so many, about his year in solitary as a POW in Cambodia and two more lives that gave him escape, about his return to the VA hospital and the country he served where he became an outcast for his answer to a call to duty, about all the loving hearts that he broke because he yet knew no better and could then give no more ...

The cowboy’s gone, his whisky's neat untouched, sits alone at his table thinking, listening, “I walk for miles along the highway, well, that’s just my way of saying, I love you” ...
just a beat-up old cowboy that does a bit of project management and writes poems and short stories, mostly western.

I teach from time to time -- U S Naval Academy, UNM-Los Alamos, Oxford, CO Tech U. I'm just "that guy in the three-piece suits and pointy-toed boots", and alone in this life -- can't seem to find a quality cowgirl that will have me.

PJT


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale


Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

  1. Paul,
    I want to thank you for your friendship and for taking the time to write about you for the blog. Your writing will always be welcome here, as will you. I look forward to reading more of your work.
    Again, Welcome Home.
    CJ

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.