"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Thursday, December 4, 2014

1967 Bob Hope Christmas Show: by Robert L. Bellville

Robert L. Bellville

Well CJ, the Bob Hope Show I saw was held on the 24th of December 1967 in Lai Khe, Vietnam.
 
It was a real treat for us to see Bob Hope along with all the other entertainers he brought with him.

I remember one of the first things that came to my mind was memories of watching this great American on television as a kid, as he put on Christmas shows for our troops all around the world.

Now here I was, a part of one of those shows.

Bob Hope - Raquel Welch
Some of the guests he had with him were:

Raquel Welch
Miss World
Phil Crosby
Les Brown with his Band of Renown

I know there were many more, (especially a lot of good looking girls), but I don't remember who else now. I do know that myself and all the troops just loved them.

As always, Bob made many jokes, one of them being: 

“I hope Charlie knows there is a cease fire on and he doesn't send any rockets our way.”

I sat there remembering all the Christmases past and thinking, “Now here I am, 12,000 miles from home.” It was different, but Bob brought part of the world with him that day for the 1st Infantry and the show was great.

To me Bob Hope was and will always be one of the greatest Americans ever.







Robert L. Bellville
U.S. Army - ’66 - ‘67
Vietnam












“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale


Feel free to comment on this post. You are also invited to write about anything you want to share with other vets.  Memoirs From Nam is YOUR blog. You are writing America's history ...



3 comments:

  1. I agree with Bob - in that as a youngster I had admired the man (Hope) and watched as he gave shows over the Holidays to troops around the world. Then before I knew it - there I was sitting in a crowd of GIs and there was Bob Hope and his entourage entertaining ME! That was Xmas 1970. Connie Stevens and the Gold Diggers were there as well and at that time I thought she was a KNOCKOUT - and still admire Connie for being part of the entertainment - and - of course the Gold Diggers as well. They looked far better in THEIR BOOTS than we GI's did in OUR BOOTS!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember sitting on sandbags quite a way from the stage. Raquel Welch looked to be about the size of a small barbi doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was there to see the Bob Hope Show at Lai Khe in 1967. I was from the 1/28th Infantry, First Infantry Division and flew from Quan Loi to Lai Khe on a C-130. I only had 10 days before I flew home to the US. I enjoyed watching Raquel Welsh and the beautiful Rockettes dance and I enjoyed Bob Hope's jokes. There were several hundred troops sitting on the ground that watched the show. What a memorable event.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.