"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Sunday, December 12, 2010

Rusty Daily: Sharing

This email came to me from Rusty Daily, an upbeat, honest, full of life kind of guy. He's also a good friend I've known for years and years, and yet we've never had the opportunity to meet in person. His real name is Russell Daily, a thoughtful and devoted family man, and a gifted writer and poet.

Our paths first crossed in an online writing community where we soon realized we shared the same zany sense of humor, especially when it came to writing poetry for children and, over the years, we have co-written many poems together as well as forming a wonderful friendship.  Here is what he wrote:

"CJ,
For some time now I have read a few of the posts on your Memoirs blog. I am struck with the emotion, profound stories and the soul-baring that I see. I don't know why, but one line leaped out at me. (paraphrased) 'We all continue to wear the uniform regardless of the uniform's physical condition or location'. When I think back to who I was before the military and who I am now, I can almost see the bell bottoms waving in the breeze. My inner core is that uniform.

I was one of the fortunate few who was not in any imminent danger during my service. I floated around on a submarine six months out of the year and never really had my 'metal' tested. That is why I am so in awe of those who do know real battle and they have a special place in my heart.

Having said all that, I'm going to say this as your friend. Although we don't know it at the time, pain and loss can open the door to great and good things. Such as the young Vietnam Widow who suffered a tragic loss and became the conduit for others to tell their story to like-minded individuals on her blog. As the list goes, the civilian friend does this, but the veteran friend does that. Just one example of the bond we share.

I cannot presume to know the roller coaster of emotion you must ride with every story that comes your way, but I do know that there isn't a medal made, worthy of your efforts.

Your very good friend and respectful admirer,
Rusty"

[MY REPLY]
"Hello Rusty-Friend,

You continue to amaze me, the longer I know you. Your words always seem to have a life of their own.  No matter whether we're co-writing poetry, sharing family news, or just being friends, I often find your words burrowing here and there to touch me now, or touch me later, but touch me they always do. Like right now -- and I don't let just everyone's words touch me, ya know, so I guess that means you're very special. Thank you, sweet poet man, for your wonderful kind words.

Your friend always,
CJ"


** It is my hope that someday, I can meet Rusty in person. See, I have a hug I've been carrying around with his name on it just waiting to be passed along.


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.