"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Tuesday, January 29, 2013

One Night In Nam 1968

by Charles Atkinson





I remember one night during TET in 1968. I was on guard duty near the back gate at LONG BIHN.

 At about midnight, one of the guys lit up a joint and I didn't want the odor of the joint to alert the VC. 

Well, I totally lost it. I knocked him down, took my M-14, locked and loaded, and stuck the barrel in his mouth and had the other guard call the Sgt. of the Guard and ask that he come out ASAP.

When he arrived, I had cooled down a little bit. The Sgt. took that guard and replaced him on the spot. 

Nothing ever happened to me because of it, but I don't know about the other guy. This happened sometime in January of 1968, but I don't remember the exact date.

CJ Atkinson
US Army


Thank you for sharing your experience, Charles, and Welcome Home.
~CJ


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.