"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Saturday, January 26, 2013

Vietnam 1966: J. Koontz


Who could ever forget our first experience in Vietnam?

We landed in Binh Hoa on Christmas Eve, 1966, in pouring rain and very high temperatures.

We had travelled in a C141 Transport from Benning to Vietnam via Alaska and Japan.

Our Christmas Eve was spent getting "setup" in tents and trying to get some sleep.

The following morning at a ridiculous hour, we were wakened for breakfast and a Santa in fatigues with gifts. It was a very unique Christmas Day. My first Christmas away from family at the ripe old age of 20.

Jim Koontz
Sgt. E/3/7, 199th


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your post, Jim. Welcome Home.
    Your friend,
    CJ

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.