"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Monday, May 26, 2014

The Defender: by Doyle Watters

All Military - One Voice









The Defender


I have fought wars and conflicts around the globe.
I am the past, present, and the future.
Over the years, my uniform has changed a bit.
Nevertheless, it will always be a symbol of freedom.

Throughout history, I have defended my country.
When asked to take the oath, I raised my right hand.
I have never, nor will I ever, let America down.
Even in the most unpopular wars, I was strong.

My head held high as I invaded the beaches,
Slept in jungles, and dreamed of home.
I’ve marched across the deserts’ hot sand.
I spilled my blood to protect the Constitution.

Yes, I walk with a limp and I drink too much.
I even sit on the street corners and beg.
Often I am overcome with shame.
Hero is a label some have tried to pin on me.

I will never accept such characterization.
Fear has stalked me every generation.
I went away and I did not come home.
I am buried at the bottom of the sea.

My white crosses line the countryside on foreign soil.
No one visits my grave, or remembers my name.
When I departed, I was not old enough to vote,
Could not enter a tavern and consume a beer.

I did not get a chance to raise a family,
Nor watch my children grow to be adults.
Family reunions often dismissed my existence.
When I came home you said I was different.

My limbs were missing and my mind distorted.
I was withdrawn and appeared to be troubled.
Yes I am different, I only wish I wasn’t.
The price that I paid shall be paid again.

Some have to give, so that others may reap.
Without the Veterans, there is no America.
Hopeful my strength will encourage the youth,
May they be strong when peace does not prevail.
Only the dead have seen the end of war.


Command Sergeant Major
Doyle Watters
US Army May 1965 – May 1990 (Retired)

Doyle Watters
 "There are not enough words that can completely describe what a soldier does during the course of their career.
A soldier is responsible for the safe keeping of America and willingly defends against all enemies, both foreign and domestic, in order to ensure freedom is preserved. 
A soldier's duty description is measured in blood, sweat, hardship, and yes, even death. The pay is small, the days are long, and meals are often missed but those inconsistencies tarnish not a soldier's attitude, for it is the Oath of Enlistment, which empowers the soldier and instills faithfulness, while building a special bond known only to those who have served."

Other Articles by Doyle Watters


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Do you have an opinion, or a comment, you would like to share about this post?

Feel free to comment on this post. You are also invited to write about anything you feel comfortable sharing. Memoirs From Nam is YOUR blog. You are writing America's history, sharing the truth about the Vietnam veteran, and what it was like in Our War.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.