"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Tuesday, November 4, 2014

A Flag’s Declaration: by Doyle Watters

Betsy Ross and George Washington


























A Flag’s Declaration


My nickname is Old Glory I’ve existed for over two hundred years.
The Star Spangled Banner described my story well at its creation.
Only I have observed every moment, from beginning to present.
The Boston Massacre marked the first casualty of our revolution.
A witness to blood, death and destruction beyond comprehension.
Duty, honor and country have remained foremost in my existence.
I embrace the wind and enshroud the spirits of those fallen for freedom. 

I am not merely a piece of cloth, I stand for liberty and justice. 
Red, White and Blue are my colors, chosen by my forefathers.
Valor and sacrifice, purity and innocence are woven into my stripes.
Vigilance, perseverance and justice lay deep in my bosom of blue.
Freedom of speech, religion and the press are my birthright.
These principles of the common man can make a nation great. 

My history is very young when compared to others. 
I have seen the brave generations of timeless defenders.
Those willing to sacrifice for a cause they might not be able to realize.
To this day my soldiers continue to overcome adversities at will.
Through suffering and death they pledge utmost loyalty and trust.
With the grave knowledge that war consumes souls and haunts spirits.

Those who carry me into battle best understand the price paid. 
Draping the caskets of my youth, I am aware of freedom’s cost.
Disrespected by world citizens, I fervently offer respite from tyranny.
I shall not waver, for I keep a watchful eye on that which surrounds me.
My strength can not be destroyed for it lies in the hearts of my people.
Peace is all I strive to accomplish, as history continues its march. 

I ask that you honor, respect and be faithful to me in times of uncertainty.
Never be afraid of expressing your love for me openly and willingly.
Think of those that made your freedom a reality, the Veterans of America.
In return I will be a symbol, letting mankind know democracy lives.
I’ll be strong when faced with calamity, offering solidarity for peace.
I am an idea, a physical entity representing hope, opportunity and freedom.



CSM Doyle Watters 
Vietnam Veteran
US Army Retired


Other Articles by Doyle Watters



“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale


Feel free to comment on this post. You are also invited to write about anything you feel comfortable sharing. Memoirs From Nam is YOUR blog. You are writing America's history, sharing the truth about the Vietnam veteran, and what it was like in Our War.


4 comments:

  1. This is very good. I enjoyed reading it. --Allen J. Folk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, CSM Watters! --Michael Roman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent. This says it all for what our flag, country, & us Veterans stand for. Plus none of this is negotiable, ever.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.