"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Lost But Not Forgotten

Anguish and Wonder


Lost But Not Forgotten

by William A. Christie

"It was war, you won't come home,"
are the thoughts you leave home with.

You hear the shots, smell the powder.
The smoke and dust clears.

You look down.
He's gone, and you're still here.

Did I do the right thing,
or was it wrong?

Did I do enough, or too much?
His eyes stare with a far away look.

Oh My God,
he's my friend.

How do I go on?
Guilt fills my life; shame rules it.

Wishing it was me, and glad it wasn't.
Why just one and not both?

I'll remember this forever
in the day and in the nightmares.

Did it hurt?
Did he suffer?

Holding him for what seemed like forever,
knowing it was just a moment,

but feeling it forever ...



Written by Sgt. William A. Christie
a Vietnam Combat Veteran with PTSD
U.S. Army, 299th Combat Engineers
D/A Company
1968/1969
Dak To Defenders
Dak To Vietnam


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.