"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Sunday, January 30, 2011

The Steps to Healing

The steps to healing are, first and foremost, recognizing and embracing the hurt in its entirety, feeling it's wholeness and sting, acknowledging that it doesn't own us, and then releasing it -- allowing it to go.  In the releasing of it is where healing begins.  It's then that the tears come.  Tears are meant to cleanse and they do, if we'll only allow them.
  

When my husband, Doug, was killed in Vietnam in '69, one of the most poignant poems I ever read was sent to me in a sympathy card.  The words mean just as much now as they did then, and I  would like to share them with you:


Tears (Anonymous)

Tears on the outside
fall on the ground
and are slowly swept away.

Tears on the inside
fall on the soul
and stay, and stay, and stay.



I've never forgotten those words -- how wonderful and healing they are.

CJ


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale


Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

  1. Pain and tears are not a part of your soul, they are the residue of a defeated ego in the process of surrender.Only when you have had enough, only when you dont know where to go, only after the tears start to flow does the revelation of healing begin inside you.Tears are the melting of illusions into a beautiful reality that heals as a result of acceptance.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.