"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Friday, January 28, 2011

A Vietnam Veteran: Al Comeau

This was put during one of my many moments of retrospect and reflection.  No day goes by without thoughts of that time or memories of war's horror.  I provide this for your use, should you find it worthy.  I served with the U.S. Army in the Central Highlands of Vietnam from November 1965 through December 1966 as an enlisted member of the 1st Cavalry Division (Airmobile).

Al Comeau
34 Roland Street
Waterbury, CT 06706
Tel: (203) 419-0378 (Home)
(203) 597-7687 (Cell)
My E-mail

A VIETNAM VETERAN

I was eighteen.
I chose hardship, over comfort and duty, in Vietnam.
I made longer America’s heritage,  proud to have done so.
I was firm in my resolve, though my country was not.
I knew distrust, not respect, upon my return.

Mine was a blood trust with those whom I served.
Mine was glory not easily bestowed.
Mine are memories of horror, not joy.
Mine were wounds never to heal.
Mine was a war not celebrated.

Each nightmare is mine to endure.
Each day brings thoughts, unresolved.
Each comrade lost is a wound upon my soul.
Each battle fought remains a scar upon my mind.
Each year gone by, lends shadow to my past.

There is pride to know I held the torch of Liberty high.
There is pride that Freedom is mine to share.
There is pride that others carry America’s banner - still.
There is pride in what I chose to do.
There is pride to have served and not to run, as some.

I am a VIETNAM VETERAN and I entrust the torch of Freedom to those that choose to wear the uniform of the Armed Forces of the United States of America and to their families who support and honor them for their service.

Just as it is without conscience to kill the messenger who conveys bad news: It is unjust to disrespect and dishonor the warrior for acting upon the orders of his superiors in service to his Nation’s wishes. The mission of the warrior may be distasteful but service to Country is embarked upon through an uncompromising oath to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic and bear true faith AND allegiance to same.

We, as a Nation of free Americans, must never again find it acceptable to dishonor those warriors or veterans who, through their service and sacrifice, allow all Americans to breath the fresh, clean air of FREEDOM.

**Thank you, most sincerely, Al, for your service and for taking the time to write for Memoirs.
From CJ, with my most humble regards and respect.

Welcome Home, Al Comeau.


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Bookmark and Share

3 comments:

  1. Welcome Home Al,
    Craig Latham
    101st Airborne Div. (Ambl)
    Phu Bai
    Vietnam
    1970-1971

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Al. Your thoughts certainly ring true.
    Richard Schwartz
    101st Airborne Div.
    2/327 Battalion Delta Company
    Phu Bai, Vietnam
    1970

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read General Smedley Butler (USMC) on why we fight.
    Regards
    A combat Viet Vet, TET 1968

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.