"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Saturday, July 16, 2011

Gary Dennis

What a wonderful surprise I found today in my email. I received this letter ...

Hi Cathy,

Do you remember me?  I'm Gary, Doug's cousin from Fostoria, OH.  My ex mother-in-law sent your email address to me.  So many memories (unfortunately bad, of course), came rushing back to me.  I was the one who took the phone call from Doug's mom, Auntie Ortha, when she called my mom to inform her of Doug's demise.  I will never forget it.  I was just getting ready to start my sophomore year at Bowling Green.  

I remember coming to your wedding. I also remember Doug was only over there a short time when it all happened -- I had forgotten it was only three months. I still have a folder that Dad left me with letters, pictures, newpaper articles, etc.

I've been living in Florida since I graduated from Bowling Green in '72.  Twenty-five years in Sarasota/Venice, ten years in Ocala, and now I'm in Palm Coast, on the Atlantic.  I still see Ron and Beth just about every year, as they make an annual trek down to Sarasota (Siesta Key) for three months.  My daughter (27) was born and raised and still lives in Venice.  

Of course when Ron and I get together, the conversation invariably gets around to all the good times we had as kids -- especially during the time when Uncle Gib was sheriff in Coshocton.  We had some great times in that old jail house.  Doug would lock us up in a cell and leave us there -- we didn't care -- we had a blast! 

I hope this finds it's way to you, and that all is good in your life. 
Fondly,
Gary
Gary Dennis
PGA Professional, Life Member
(H) 386-263-7337
(C) 352-857-7870

**As of the posting of this blog, I've written to Gary to catch up.  What a wonderful day!
~CJ



“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.