"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Untold Stories

I would like to share a thoughtful email I received. It has to do with a Blog I posted not too long ago (Memoir of Douglas S. Kempf, 8-02-10) about my first husband, Doug Kempf. This email is filled with insight about the Vietnam War. How unfortunate that a whole generation of Americans has been, for the most part, kept in the dark ...

Your Blog
From: Damon Piletz (email withheld)
To: CJ Heck

Thank you so much for posting the story about your first husband. It was awesome! We have a local medic, who fought in Vietnam, and he is a Medal of Honor winner. He talks about how he tried everyday to make things good during bad times.

It's stories like Doug’s that are of true American heroes. These stories are what children should be learning. Not sports stars. Doug deserves more accolades than any number of people in today’s textbooks.

My parents' generation fought in Vietnam and I have found too many, way too many, stories of Vietnam that remain untold. Not good at all. I don’t even remember how I got on your blog, but thank God I did. His story must live on and thank goodness for Lt James McCraney. You made my day, many times over….

Sincerely,
Damon Piletz
Project ADEPT
Monroe 2 BOCES

My most sincere thanks to you, Damon. You made my day many times over, as well ...
My very warmest regards,
CJ

God Bless America

“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do. And by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.