"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Tuesday, August 12, 2014

The Promise: by Jack Murphy




The song, "The Promise", is dedicated to all Vietnam veterans.  

It was written and composed by Vietnam veteran singer/songwriter, Jack Murphy, a former Redcatcher in Delta Company, 5th Battalion, 12th Infantry, 199th Light Infantry Brigade, Vietnam 1969-1970.

Murphy's song, “The Promise,” has been getting a lot of attention.  In his words, 
“I wrote it as my way of giving something back to those that gave so much during the Vietnam War.  As far as the story about the song, it is my true story as it is everyone’s story that was in the Vietnam War. 
You make a friend, you talk about home, and your girl, and your car, and then one day, one of you is gone. 
This song is my way of giving something back to those that gave so much, those of us that try to cope every day for the rest of our lives, with the memory of their loss.”




Jack Murphy
Delta Co. 5/12
199th light infantry brigade
1969-1970






“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale

Do you have an opinion, or a comment, you would like to share about this post? Click on the comment button.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Jack.Cried like a baby buddy but it was a great tribute to all of us here and our friends and fellow vets on that wall.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment.