"Sharing can be a way of healing. Grief and loss can isolate,
anger even alienate. Shared with others, emotions unite
as we see we aren't alone. We realize others weep with us."
~Susan Wittig Albert

Through our writing, we walk out of the darkness into the light
together, one small step at a time, recording history, educating
America, and we are healing.
~CJ/Todd Dierdorff



Monday, January 5, 2015

"Right or Wrong": by Jim Van Doren

Our Country - Right or Wrong

“Right or Wrong”

Jim Van Doren (2004)

“My country, right or wrong”?
It might be the title of a song
But for our People to be Strong
They need to know what’s Right, what’s Wrong.

Defending our Country is our absolute right.
But imposing our will – based on our might – 
Declares to the world that “Might makes Right”.
It puts our armed forces in an undeserved plight
As they question the instinct: “Fight or Flight”?

As a Citizen, what is my task?
As a Patriot, it’s my duty to ask.
As a Veteran, I will not only plead – 
I will demand of those elected to Lead:

What business have we in launching attacks
Based on suspicion, not founded on facts?
“Actionable Intelligence” must bear correlation
To hard Evidence with proven Corroboration.

Before launching any “pre-emptive” invasion,
We need hard proof, not just a persuasion
That the threat is more than a handy excuse
To sanctify our own “righteous” forms of abuse.

To question a leader who acts like royalty
Is our daily imperative, of utmost loyalty – 
To our Country, its People, and its Laws,
And to our culture, with all its flaws

But especially to those who’ve answered the call – 
Because they ... “All gave some, and some gave All”.

Jim Van Doren 
Dustoff Medic
Vietnam '65-'66


Also by Jim Van Doren:




"I was born in Ohio, but grew up in Vietnam."


“I am only one, but I am one. I can't do everything, but I can do something. The something I ought to do, I can do, and by the grace of God, I will.” ~Everett Hale


Feel free to comment on this post. You are also invited to write about anything you want to share. Memoirs From Nam is YOUR blog. You are writing America's history.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment.